Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Faith Like a Child

Why does it always come back to faith?  I ask myself this question all the time.  It's been on my mind since Sunday.  We were on our way to church and the topic of Jake's condo came up.  He is trying to sell his condo and we really, really need to sell.  Are we ok right now, sure, we have more than what we need, but, we look to the future and know that we need to begin to make plans.  If God permits children will come one day and we want to be able to provide them a stable home where I can be there with them.  That's the future...but we are here now praying that this condo will sell.  He has faith....faith like a child...it's amazing isn't it?  That a man who has experienced a lot of pain and loss can still look to God and say, I trust you completely.  I used to think I was optimistic, but not compared to Jake.  Our conversations always go the same, he tries to reassure me that it will go.  "God knows" he says, "he will take care of us".  I try so hard to believe as he does, but it doesn't come as easily to me.  I seem to always be looking over my shoulder, when will the other shoe drop so to speak?  Then we went to church.  Amazing, God again says 'Christine..can you just let me do my job?'  We heard a speaker Steve Saint,  the movie The End of the Spear, was based on his life.  Amazing to me that this man whose father was brutally murdered by savages when he was trying to protect them not only forgave them, but through the grace of God was now able to call them family.  He ministered to these people because its what God said to do.  Then just as if it seemed things were good, his 17 year old daughter returns from a mission trip only to die on the night of her welcome home party from a hemorrhage in her brain.  And yet he follows our Lord and says, thank you, what will you have me do next?
So, once I pulled my self up from my seat and wiped the tears from my eyes I realized that once again it comes back to faith.  God has never given me a reason to doubt him, yet I have given him numerous reasons to doubt me.  So, when my devoted husband says that God will provide, I will now work harder to let his child like faith become my inspiration to build my faith even stronger.  I need to stop asking God, "will you really do this?" and starting saying "Thank you Lord, and what will you have me do next?"
I hope you all take a few moments to look up Steve Saint and read his story.  It is a true expression of child like faith.
On a brighter note, I got some awesome news today.  My awesome friend Lisa is busting out!  She and I have a girls movie night planned for Friday.  She has a sitter and Jake has given the go ahead and we are going to a movie.  I'm so excited selfishly to be able to hang out with her, but also so excited for her.  She is such a dedicated mom and wife and has made numerous sacrifices for her family which I know she gladly makes but come Friday night its all about her...for at least  few hours.  See you Friday Lees!!!!
Blessings,
Christine

1 comment:

ocm said...

So true...our God knows...and he knows best. I hope that soon you'll feel the peace of resting in that knowledge. I know I struggle with it...and it comes and goes as I try to take over and 'make things happen' or begin to worry.

If you haven't, you should check out that movie. It is a good story--the same as told by Elisabeth Elliot, though a different perspective.

I see often through my friends who are "out in the mission field" across the globe a faith that I long for.

Great to hear how God is continuing the lessons He began teaching so long ago...He is faithful!!!
: )