Monday, November 24, 2008

Simple Christmas

In church over the last month we have been doing a series on "Simple Christmas".  It's been a great eye opener.  The 3 main points of our study was to focus on the "true" meaning of Christmas by keeping Christ at the center, spend less money and create an experience as a memory instead of focusing on material things and lastly give more.  Give to those who have less that you do.  Right now I'm sure that is the tough one, how are we going to give to our families let alone to others we don't even know.  During that last few weeks I've gone to church with an open mind and an open heart, and I think I can honestly say that at least for the last few years, I've tried very hard to stay focused on the reason for Christmas and that without Christ we wouldn't have this time of year.  And I have been blessed that for as long as I can remember Christmas day has been a day of creating memories.  I rarely remember what I get, but I remember the get together's, the yummy brunches and the days of shave gel on the living room ceiling.  I also remember surprise visits from Vince and seeing how happy he was for us to be together with great friends for what turned out to be our last Christmas together.  I remember laughing so hard I cried and crying because now there is a hole in my holiday.  But the point that convicted me the most was giving more.  Jake and I have already decided that we are going to go to the mall and give by picking an angel from the salvation army tree.  That was a program that put gifts under my tree more than once and I want to be sure to give back.  The point was making true sacrifice.  We are both still trying to figure out what that sacrifice will look like but with prayer we are asking God to lead us.  We have been blessed, immensely blessed, we know we are called to share that blessing with others.
So, I guess the point of this post is 2 fold, first go to www.ccvonline.com and download the podcast of the Simple Christmas message,  its powerful.  And secondly, ask yourself where will you sacrifice to spread the blessings you have been given?
If you hear the message I'd love to hear your thoughts.  I hope everyone has a blessed Thanksgiving!

post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard the podcast but I will....

This is my 4th Christmas with just myself and my kids. I've learned through some rather nasty experiences about what is really important in life. I'm happier now that I have been in quite a few years.

Take care,
Amy